Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dr. Michael Evers

Dr. Evers at UNC is a wonderful doctor. I encourage anyone using UNC as their hospital of choice to try and have Dr. Evers as your OB.

A little background, in May 2008 I had my right ovary removed due to a benign tumor. Dr. Evers was my surgeon.  Prior to the actual surgery, Dr. Evers was unable to give us a lot of information. To paraphrase - I don't know what I will find until I get in there. Dr. Evers said best case scenario, I would only lose my right ovary. There was the chance he would have to take everything but would wait and wake me from from the anesthesia to discuss.

I was released from the hospital after a day and a half. I had very strict guidelines about lifting items, taking stairs, and diet. I also was getting a phone call from Dr. Evers every few days to check on how I was doing. Just amazing follow-up care. I don't think that is normal...

Back to my pregnancy. I started my journey with Dr. Emily Evans-Hoeker in the Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (due to the fact I only have one baby maker left and my heart condition). Around the 10 week mark, Dr. Evans said it was time for me to have a "regular" OB doctor. She asked if I had anyone in mind. We didn't so it became the luck of the draw. We drew Dr. Evers.

I was wondering if Dr. Evers was going to read my chart prior to the appointment and realize our paths had previously crossed. I obviously underestimated this man. He was on top of things and very excited Daren and I were able to conceive. I had two appointments with Dr. Evers prior to my 18 week ultrasound.  Dr. Evers was not going to present at the ultrasound, but scheduled an appointment with us the following week.

Not an hour after we left the hospital after having our hearts ripped out of our chests did I get a phone call from Dr. Evers. Also shocked by the findings, Dr. Evers wanted to know how we were doing. This man cares for his patients. Dr. Evers let us know the new findings were not in his wheel house and we would probably have a change in doctors.  Dr. Evers stressed he was not pushing us away.

I called Dr. Evers on Tuesday to find out if I should keep or cancel my appointment for Friday afternoon. I also mentioned the preliminary findings of the amnio in my voicemail.  I just received a call back from Dr. Evers this afternoon. I did not at all feel rushed as I talked on the phone. I passed along everything I had learned from Daren's phone call with the geneticist on Tuesday. We also discussed some of the steps moving forward.

When ending the call I told Dr. Evers he was not finished with me. He will be my OB of choice for any future children we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment