Saturday, May 11, 2013

Always Be Prepared

Always check the diaper bag. Always.

Wednesday was one of my favorite days of the year - Athletics Play Day. Everyone in our department has the option to play golf, tennis, line dance, or go for a walk. I always choose to "play" tennis. The final part of play day was a department picnic at the UNC baseball game. The baseball game started at 6pm so I needed to make a quick grab and go of Willa from daycare and Daren at the house.

I think we were about five minutes from Chapel Hill when Willa started grunting and grunting and grunting. We are sure to have a mess when Willa poops while sitting in her car seat. It was once the smell hit me that I got to thinking about the diaper bag...it didn't have a spare outfit. In hindsight, I should have told Daren to turn the car around and head back home.

We pull into the parking lot and get ready to inspect the damages. Thankfully, I still had the awesome plastic sheeting in the back of my car from when I went plant shopping at Lowe's because we needed it. I could see the poop down the inside of her pants as I took her out of the car seat.

We had to tag team the clean up process. Daren held the legs and I manned the wipes. Well, until we ran out after wipe number four. Unbelievable. Thankfully, I had some napkins in the glove box. I got to a point where I felt Daren could handle the last bit and I took off in a sprint for the game. I figured someone would have some wipes and an emergency outfit we could borrow.

One co-worker's wife gave me wipes and a t-shirt out of her bulging book bag/diaper bag. Back I went sprinting to Daren who had started started strapping Willa back in her car seat wearing a diaper, socks, and a zip-up hoodie. I told him to toss her in the back of the car and lets double check her since we had more wipes and lose the hoodie for the t-shirt. At the same time, another co-worker was heading to the game with her family. They also have a new baby and I asked if they had any spare clothes. Yup, we got a pair of pink pants. Now Willa had a very cute outfit that looked thought out.

We were finally ready to head into the game. I do feel sorry for the person who had to change the trash can right outside of Boshamer Stadium. I'm sure it stunk pretty bad.  We were able to enjoy the rest of the evening. It was great seeing all my co-workers and their kids. Also, the Heels have a pretty good baseball team. So far they are 2-0 with Willa in the stands. I'm thinking she is their good luck charm and has played a major part in their 44-4 record.

Remember the moral of the story: a bulging, overfilled diaper bag wins every time.









No comments:

Post a Comment