Monday, May 27, 2013

First Foods

Yum! Cereal!
Our pediatric surgeon and the nutritionist didn't want Willa to start eating solids until she turned six months old. I actually listened and waited. We first tried oatmeal when she was six months and one day. I followed the instructions on the box and made the oatmeal pretty watery. Yes, we took a video. Unfortunately, I'm having technical difficulties and can't upload it to the blog.

We are adding coconut oil to her food to encourage weight gain. Amazing fat content in that oil. There is 14 grams of fat in one tablespoon. We are able to give her 1 teaspoon of oil to four ounces of food. We will plump up this little girl!

Sweet potato surprise
I also want to try to make her baby food. We've already had some successes and some failures. Sweet potatoes have to be the easiest thing ever. Just bake them up and scoop out the insides. Done. Peas didn't work so well. I didn't get anything of substance. Green beans worked out great. Pulled out the ol' food press from Grandpa and Grandma Keizer and got rid of the bean "peal" and strings. Presto! Food for my baby.

This weekend Willa tried apple sauce (by Gerber) for the first time. She absolutely battered it. Daren got her to eat about a tablespoon worth on Saturday. Yesterday, over two feedings, Willa finished the
Green beans with a smile
started container and polished off the second container. I was elated. We found a food that Willa will eat willingly and happily. She actually had her mouth open for me before I could got the spoon loaded with food. Well....nothing is easy around here. We think Willa is either allergic to the apples or the pesticides used in the orchards. Willa got her first butt rash and rash around her mouth. Brutal. I'm not giving up. I'll try making her some apple sauce using organic apples. Fingers crossed that does the trick!

Willa's first foods in order -
Whole grain oatmeal
Avocado
Sweet potatoes
Green beans
Peas
Apples



No comments:

Post a Comment