Friday, February 8, 2013

Information Overload

I am obsessed with omphaloceles. I am constantly searching for blogs to read. I love the two Facebook groups dedicated to oms. I'm part of a Yahoo group. I want to know how the pregnancy progressed. I want to know if their pregnancy went full term or if the babies were delivered early. I want to know what the treatment plan was like for the om babies. Did they doctors do an immediate closure or is it delayed? I feel like we are all one big family and we support each other.

Just last night a news story aired in St. Louis, Missouri about the birth of Hayden. The camera crews were in the delivery room!!! Unbelievable! Watching the video brought the emotions rushing back from October 27th when Willa was born. I was that person walking down the hallway in the hospital gown with a cap on my hair. Actually, this video showed me what I missed with Willa's birth. We don't have a video of her birth. We only have just those quick cell phone pics Daren took just before she was whisked away to the NICU.

I think Hayden's parents are so strong to let this television crew into their OR. I'm not sure I could have done the same. Obviously, both Hayden and Willa are some of lucky om babies who were born without additional complications. Both babies have strong lungs, the membrane covering remained intact, and all chromosomes are as they should be. Not all families are as lucky as we are.

I will continue to follow Hayden's blog as he remains in the NICU. I believe he is nearing the three week mark. He is struggling with feedings like Willa. His parents have a very strong faith in God and seem to be handing the stress like champions.

The Fox 2 video -   http://fox2now.com/2013/02/07/baby-born-with-organs-on-outside/

No comments:

Post a Comment