Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pumping Brings Out the Doctors

Just had an early morning visit from one of the medical students on Dr Adamson's service. She was stopping by to see Willa. As in the NICU, pumping brings out the doctors. I of course had no issue with talking to her.  I can multi-task.

The med student didn't assist with the procedure but was able to watch (I'm picturing the viewing room from Grey's Anatomy). She asked if I was happy with the belly button. I said we hadn't really gotten to see it but I knew Dr A did his best. Med student agreed and said they took their time.

She wanted to know if we had any questions she could bring up to the surgical team. She also wanted to know if Willa was in any pain. I don't think she is in pain but I would put it more as uncomfortable. Willa is starting to move around a bit more but still spends the majority of the time sleeping.  Willa did just do a double leg raise around 4am when her diaper was being changed. I think our nurse is keeping on top of her meds.

My questions for the doctors are concerning her stitches and getting her to feed. The initial thought was that Dr A would use stitches which would later need to be removed, but it appears he has used the dissolvable kind. I also want to know if they will lower the IV dose so we can get her to start taking the bottle.

Willa is starting to make some noise from the lower end. Farting is good b/c that means her insides are starting to function. We have had a few "schmears" in the diapers. A quick use of the stethoscope let the med student know the intestines are churning.

So, I want to run and grab a coffee before the doctors get here for rounds. I'm also expecting Daren to come back soon. I'm hoping he got a good nights sleep after leaving here at 11ish. I stuck it out on the pullout chair/couch. I'm happy to report our little neighbor boy is going "pee pee" quite regularly. Oh the joys of sleeping in an area surrounded by curtains.

No comments:

Post a Comment