Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Monday Recap

Wow!!! Yesterday was a very busy day. I'm not sure I will even remember everything. Daren put up the post about how we did our first feeding of Willa at 11am along with a video of her sucking her thumb.  The doctors took out her replogle tube b/c I was going to start feeding Willa. Once that tube came out Willa found her thumb for the first time.  My apologies you can hear me talking during the video. I was over talking with the doctors while they were doing rounds. The doctor asked me about where the name Willamina Grace came from.  I only thought Daren was taking a pic...but of course I love having the video. This might also have been when Daren changed his FIRST diaper.  I enjoyed watching him struggle with Willa. She didn't appreciate the amount of time it took for Daren to make the change happen.

As Daren said the first feeding went well. We are going slow to start and only letting her take in a small amount of milk.  We also have to fight to keep Willa awake. While feeding Melissa popped in and wished us her best and all her love.

Dr Evers came to our room not long after we got back. We updated him on everything which had occurred since we saw him on Friday evening. We also shared all of our pics and videos. Ladies - if you are thinking of delivering at UNC you should ask to have Dr Evers as your OB.

Our friend Danielle came by with lunch around 130 and kept us entertained with stories from her Tough Mudder (envision lots of obstacles, mud, logs, and something called an arctic enema) competition from Saturday.  It sounded super tough and fun.  Next Danielle joined us for Willa's second feeding at 230pm. Mom and daughter are both learning the ropes of feeding. The lactation consultants are there to help us out.

Honorary team member
Not long after Danielle left we had our first visitors from UNC Athletics. Stacey and Julie came by. Please be warned if you come for a visit you may catch me pumping in the room. Willa needs the milk and I'm not shy.  Stacey also thinks Willa looks like Daren.  Be on the lookout for a future blog with baby pictures to find out who Bean really looks like. Right now...I think she looks like a baby.

Jayne decorated our mailbox
I found Bellemont neighbors Jayne, Larry and Janine visiting in the room with Daren when I got back after showing off baby Bean my UNC ladies. I'm amazed the Little's waited as long as they did to come visit. They came bearing gifts and Bean's wardrobe of pink has started to accumulate. Jayne also "broke" into our house and finished all our laundry, pressed our laundry, emptied the dishwasher and washed the dirty dishes. I just don't even know what to say besides thank you. Once again I was back down to the NICU to show the ladies their little girl and I stayed behind for the 530pm feeding.

Back in the room we ordered our supper and visited with Melissa (her second visit of the day) before she headed home from the hospital for the evening.  I didn't realize it, but Melissa's OB is also Dr Evers and she has the same love that we have. Melissa also reinforced that breastfeeding/pumping is difficult and not to get frustrated b/c it will get easier.

The remaining feedings for the night were 830 and 1130.  We are still having to continually fuss with Willa to keep her awake. The nurses said this is to be expected b/c the nursing tires her out and sleeping  equals growth time.

Daren changed two more diapers since that first one in the morning. He is becoming a pro and hardly gets a squeak out of our little girl.
From L - R
Theresa Ramsey, Kaye & Sara Koenig, Shelly's family, UNC Olympic Sport Coaches & Staff

I'm going to come back and post some pics and have Daren do a proof read. He is still sleeping and I my breakfast is getting cold. Proof reading this post is not as important as me eating my omelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment