Friday, October 26, 2012

Surprise!!!

This has been a busy week. I accomplished most of the things I listed in the 36 week post. However, everything from after the Friday ultrasound has been cancelled.

I came in this afternoon at 1pm for my 37 week u/s.  Daren didn't join me for this visit b/c things have been progressing smoothly.  The u/s tech left me in the room to go show the pictures to the doctor. It wasn't long before Maya, our case worker, and Dr. Stuebe came into the room. Dr. Stuebe noticed there was some fluid in Bean's abdomen as well as the bladder looking a bit large. Dr. Stuebe wasn't sure if the fluid would be concerning to my regular doctor.

Well, the fluid did concern Dr. Vora. She thought there was a chance some of the fluid could end up in the Bean's lungs so I was sent up to be admitted to labor & delivery. Oh, and Dr. Vora wanted to know where Daren was b/c he always attends my appointments. Unbelievable.

I quick called Daren and let him know the craziness that was ensuing. At first it seemed things could happen as quickly as 630pm. The doctors needed to wait at least six hours before starting the c-section because I ate an apple just before heading to the hospital.  Daren quickly left work and headed home to pack the hospital bag. We had yet to start packing but I had made a list which was posted on the fridge. After that I called my mom and texted my sisters.

Once admitted I saw a ton of people. The ball got rolling with the nurse who was going off shift at 4pm. Next came one of the anesthesiologists. I believe next came night nurse Sarah who will be with us until 3am. I'm not even sure who the next woman was. Oh, I also had an echo on my heart since I didn't have one on Wednesday at Duke.  After speaking with all of the many people involved with the c-section, it was decided I will go under the knife tomorrow morning. This meant I got to eat supper!!!! I was pretty hungry at this point since I had planned to grab something while heading back to the office. Daren arrived just before I ordered my food so I added a chocolate shake to my order of mexican food. Gotta keep the boy happy.

I finished eating a little after 6pm and we had another visitor. Dr. Evers, my original OB, heard the news I had been admitted. He came to check on us and also gave us some more details of why they were taking Bean earlier than planned. To summarize - the fluid could indicate a number of things and could continue to collect. Dr Evers said right now everything looks great and Bean is close to full term. If we wait and more fluid collects, things could go downhill. Makes sense to me.

So now we sit and wait. My butt fell asleep about three hours after being in the bed. I'm also guessing Daren will have a rough night sleeping on the sofa/bed.  I'm currently enjoying watching UNC M Soccer defeat NC State on ESPN3.

A combination of Daren and my little sister will attempt to update the blog as things occur. Thank you all for your texts and calls throughout the afternoon/evening on Friday. Our blog will be our main of way of keeping everyone informed. Feel free to share the address with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment