Saturday, October 27, 2012

October 27th


Prep for the c-section started around 730am.  We got pushed back slightly due to another procedure about to get underway. I think I headed to the OR around 945am.  Never realized what a process it is getting hooked up and ready for a c-section. The epidural wasn't the funnest part of my day. Daren came in the room just before the cutting started which was around 1045am.  It was about 1120am when the doctor said the baby is out and we heard the cries. Someone in the room, I'm guessing our nurse, said they don't know what they are having. The doctor quickly let us know that Bean Streett is a girl!!!

After a quick google session, we decided to spell Bean's first name as Willamina after my Grandpa Keizer.  Her middle name is Grace after my Grandma Keizer. She is perfect. We had strong cries and breathing so the doctors didn't need to intubate.  Daren got a quick peek of Willa and then went back a few minutes later to snap some pictures.

Once I was all sewn up, I was moved to the recovery room and Willa was at the NICU. Daren was with me for the first 30 minutes or so before he went to the NICU to check on our baby.  Most of what was happening was Willa was getting hooked up to monitors. The pediatric surgeon, Dr. Adamson seemed happy with the current state of the omphalocele.

We spent most of the afternoon watching sports and texting/talking with folks.  We've also had our first visitor. Our UNC doctor friend Emily Chang popped over for a quick visit.  Daren made a second trip to the NICU to see what was happening. Willa has a tube down her throat to suck out air and fluids from her stomach.  She also has an IV in her foot giving her fluids. The results were not yet back from the ultrasound of the om performed shortly after the birth. Dr. Adamson also said they were going to do an echo of her heart.

What I really wanted to do was go visit Willa in the NICU, but the nurses said I couldn't get out of bed until after 730pm.  I was finally wheeled down to the NICU a little after 8pm.  Willa has plenty of company in the NICU. I'm guessing there was about 8 other babies in the room. It appears each baby has their own nurse. We got there right as Willa's nurse was changing her bedding. I think Willa might have had an "accident." Daren helped with the linens and even got to hold Willa. I was just happy with getting to hold her hand and stroke her little head. She is such a trooper! While we were in the NICU Willa was wracked with hiccups. She handled them like a champ and promptly fell asleep. It seems she has my super power for sleeping.

Tomorrow I want to spend more time in the NICU and fingers crossed I get to have some skin to skin contact. We also want to see a doctor and find out the results of the tests they have run.  Over the next 3-4 days we should know more about when the surgery could be. That seems to be the million dollar question.

Off to bed for me. I just took another Benadryl to help ease my itchiness from the epidural. Daren is tucked in tight watching his Tigers stink it up in the World Series. Thank you all for your love and support. It really means a lot to us. Here are some pics we got throughout the day -






No comments:

Post a Comment