Friday, January 25, 2013

The Second Month

Our friend Theresa gave us the book What To Expect The First Year. I have to admit I didn't read a bit of the book those first few weeks home from the NICU. Sadly, I don't how Willa did with the first month milestones. I know all babies develop at different rates. I like how this book puts things at different levels so you know that not all babies are super stars.

What your baby may be doing -

....should be able to:

  • smile in response to your smile  We have this one down pat (Daren added when she is happy smiles are easy)
  • respond to a bell in some way, such as startling, crying, quieting I tried playing some bell sound effects from You Tube to see if we get a response. Daren thinks she was startled a little bit. I'm not convinced. 
....will probably be able to:
  • vocalize in ways other than crying (e.g., cooing) Daren says she coos some but crying is her favorite. 
  • on stomach, lift head 45 degrees I just started tummy time yesterday. Willa can lick the blanket.
....may even be able to:
  • hold head steady when upright She kills this. More than 20 seconds. She could produce a how to video
  • on stomach, raise chest, supported by arms Nope. She licks the blanket.
  • roll over (one way) Willa is stationary. 
  • grasp a rattle held to backs or tips of fingers Daren said not on purpose.
  • pay attention to an object as small as a raisin She can focus on the pacifier that fell out of her mouth.  
  • reach for an object Nope
  • say "Ah-goo" or similar vowel consonant combination Daycare Sharon says Willa is a big talker during the day. 
Layna and RJ even perused the book on Sunday between the football games. RJ is just shy of five months. I'm not sure if Layna was checking to see how he was doing with the four month milestones or   getting a preview of the fifth month. All I know is that RJ discovered his toes. Which month does a baby start using their toes as a pacifier?  



No comments:

Post a Comment