Saturday, March 2, 2013

Four months!

Hi again everyone, it's Willa. I'm back to celebrate being 4 months old. Sorry I couldn't post anything on the actual date, but I've had a lot going on... so let's get started.

I was ready to celebrate being 4 months old!

I really thought that mommy and daddy would have something special planned. Even on the eve of the day, I thought that maybe they would start the big party. If what happened was their idea of a party, they probably don't have very many friends.....

It started earlier than I expected! They woke me up at 4am - to give me a bottle. That wasn't much of a party and didn't seem too exciting to me, but whatever. At least they were getting things started. And then they brought me back downstairs... for another funky bath! What gives? That was not my idea of a party. And then back to bed again? Mommy and daddy don't know how to throw a party.

So, after a little nap they woke me up again at 6:30am. Another bottle, but this one was different. It wasn't milk, it was this weird pedialite stuff. I drank a little, but it was not my favorite. Maybe this was supposed to be the party punch? I don't know, but I continue to think that mommy and daddy don't know anything about parties.

After that, I noticed daddy starting to take stuff out to the car. Bags of stuff. Several bags of stuff. Maybe we were going on a trip... a destination party, perhaps? Sure enough, they packed my up in my carseat and we were on the road around 7:30am. I was wondering to where - Hawaii, Rome, Paris? The possibilities were endless... in all the excitement, I fell back asleep.

When I woke up, we were in a place that I had seen before. The hospital? Odd place for a party, but I do have a lot of friends there. But we didn't really do much once we got there, we just hung out for a couple of hours without much happening. I was being very patient waiting for my party to start.

Pretty soon things started to happen. A guy I didn't know came to meet us. He asked mommy and daddy a bunch of questions about allergies and reactions to anesthesia and stuff like that. Then he left again. Not too long later, he came back out again and said he was ready to go. Sounds like party time!!! I hopped into his arms ready to finally get my party started. I thought it was a little weird that mommy and daddy weren't following me to my party, but whatever. They hadn't done a very good job with my party up to this point, so I hoped this guy would do better.

OMG.

This was no way to treat a lady that just turned 4 months old. The good news was that I got some pretty sweet drugs. The bad news was that, holy crap, my belly was a lot different now. And I feel like crud! Seriously. Not happy. I am debating not turning 5 months old after this. So after I went back with the very nice gentleman, things get a little fuzzy. All I know was that when I woke up again, my head hurt. And my belly bump was gone - where it had been was a bandage. There was a weird feeling too. It's hard to explain. Muscles felt different. All that and I had an IV stuck in my hand. Did I mention I wasn't very happy?

By this time the "party" had moved into the CSSU. I tried to think of what sort of fun acronym that could be. Cool Super-Secret Uber-party? Maybe. It was a stretch, but I didn't name it. Everything else about this celebration has been lame, so why not the room name? Then I heard someone say "Children's Short Stay Unit". Sound even more lame for a party. Did I mention wasn't very happy?

Finally the night came, and around 11pm daddy left. I started doing my ab workouts and kicked off my blanket, so they put me back in a onesie. They also brought my sleep sheep, but I wasn't fooled. I knew I wasn't at home. Mommy was hanging out in a chair beside my bed. And with that my party ended.

The next morning, daddy showed back up around 8am and I started to see some other folks that I knew as well. Eventually, even Dr Adamson stopped by. He talked with mommy and daddy for a little while and everyone seemed really happy. I don't know that I would say that I was happy just yet, but I certainly felt better than I did on Wednesday.

A few hours later, we were headed back home again. From what I have heard mommy and daddy explain to other people over the last couple of days, I ended up getting a pretty awesome present after all. Looking down at my belly now, I have to agree. It turns out that my "party" was actually my omphalocele repair surgery. And in retrospect, I couldn't have asked for anything better (well, maybe I could have done without some of the pain and drug effects :). Oh, and mommy and daddy did get me a new swing for turning 4 (months). So overall I really can't complain.

Today I am pretty much back to feeling normal with my new, tucked belly and new belly button. Thanks to all the docs, nurses and everyone else at UNC!

No comments:

Post a Comment