Sunday, March 24, 2013

Magic Number

The magic number, as determined by the nutritionist, is 26 calorie fortified breast milk. This should have Willa gaining half an ounce to an ounce of weight per day. I'm not so sure Willa likes that magic number.

Not surprising, but it took a little bit to get Willa to take full feeds after her surgery. Without having charted the feeds, we estimated she was drinking around 3 1/2 - 4 ounces per feeding.  A typical day was five feedings with a small topper bottle before bed (she sleeps through the night). This means she was roughly taking 19 - 21 ounces of 24 calorie fortified breast milk.

Friday was the first day of our new feeding plan. Daycare Sharon knew what we needed to do and was ready to pump Willa full of calories. I guess we forgot to relay the plan to Willa.

Friday - 20 1/2 total ounces
Saturday - 14 1/2 total ounces
Sunday - 18 total ounces

Saturday had me worried. We had four consecutive feedings of 1 1/2 ounces or less. I freaked out and called our medical friends for advice.  At their urging, I called the advice line of our pediatrician. Essentially, Willa was not showing the signs of dehydration because she was still producing wet diapers. The advice nurse said we could bring her in but wasn't sure there was anything they could do. Also, there could be two reasons for the drastic drop in feedings -
1. Increased amount of formula meant a change in taste and texture
2. The four month shots

We started having success when we dropped the amount of formula added to breast milk. We want to slowly increase the amount of formula as we get closer to her full feeds of 4 ounces. We are encouraged by how the feedings went on Sunday.

On Saturday evening I was reluctant to join friends for a bachelorette party at a local karaoke establishment. I convinced myself to go because I could make a quick run to Babies-R-Us before joining the ladies. I was shocked when I saw our nurse from the pediatrician's office out shopping with a friend. I explained to her our situation and she gave me reassurance that it was probably a combination of the shots and increased formula which put Willa in her feeding funk. It was the reassurance I needed. After that I was able to go and have a fun evening with friends.

I realize running into the nurse doesn't seem like a big deal to most. For me, it was an example of God's love and care. Right now I want to selfishly ask for you to include Willa's feedings in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment