Sunday, March 10, 2013

Thankful

Tomorrow I return to work after being away for a week and a half. I am so thankful for how understanding everyone has been with our situation. I also have an amazing job which allows other to donate their sick time when coworkers don't have enough time banked.  I was that needy person who received donated time. I was paid for my entire 10 weeks of maternity leave and seven days for Willa's surgery.  Donating leave time is supposed to be anonymous but I know some of the folks who donated and I will be forever grateful. I cherished the time I was able to spend with Willa. I doubt the anonymous folks read this blog but I wish they could know how much I appreciated their generosity.

Willa and I did a whole lot of just hanging out this past week. I'm very happy to report that she is consistently taking three ounces per feeding.  Also, those little hands are always searching for something to grab.  She is starting to hold our fingers as we feed her.  I'm all about her starting to contribute to this relationship and start holding the bottle herself.

Willa has also dropped her pacifier habit. She is a definite thumb sucker - or fingers, or palm, or arm. Willa was even chomping on the tape securing her IV while in the hospital after the closure surgery. They say sucking the thumb leads to needing braces. I figure this kid is doomed to have bad teeth since Daren and I both had braces so keep soothing yourself.

I was a bit hesitant to jump right back into tummy time so soon after surgery. Instead, we work on head control while Willa sits in our lap. I also thought maybe I could use the boppy to strengthen her neck muscles. Well, it didn't work out quite as I had planned. That little tushy slides down. You can see the end result. She went from sitting up like a big girl to reclining like a lady of leisure.

One final result from my time home with Willa was that Daren and I kicked her out of our bedroom. She was starting to outgrow the bassinet with her squirming. Night #1 was a success. Willa went to sleep around 9pm and slept until 630am.  Hoping tonight goes just as well since we are both back to work in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment