Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Friday - Our First Letdown

We got home early Friday morning after our eventful night in the sleep room. I had soooooo much energy. I got a jump on making cupcakes for the neighborhood bonfire for Saturday. I was cleaning up stuff around the house. I started making lists of things we needed to buy at Target and Buy Buy Baby. Heck, we didn't have newborn diapers or clothing in the house b/c we didn't expect to have our little girl home so soon. Daren did convince me to lay down for a nap. I was knocked out for an hour before I was out of bed and back to the madness.

We got to the hospital around 5pm and got the news that feedings did not go well during the morning. Willa would not take the bottle and the nurse had to insert the NG tube for feedings. This meant she was not coming home on Sunday.  This was a big letdown but we were not surprised. I hadn't been super confident about the feedings b/c it was such a struggle to try and keep Willa awake.

The new feeding plan is that we are back to every three hours versus when she is waking up hungry. Switching from breastfeeding and supplementing with the bottle to bottle feeding and supplementing with the NG tube. The doctors thought this method would save some of Willa's energy. Willa also has a tendency to take short fast breaths which could also contribute to her getting tired more quickly.

We stayed in the sleep room only to nap b/c we stayed at the hospital until 2am.  I really wanted to get Willa started on the new feeding routine.  One other note from Thursday was Daren gave Willa a bath. I had to sit this one out b/c I think I suffered my first energy crash. My refusal to slow down and rest finally caught up with me. It was at this point I realized I need to sleep more and take care of myself as far as eating and drinking between feedings. This little girl is going to need me a whole lot more once we are out of the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment