Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Tuesday - Dr Bose v. Car Seat Test

Tuesday was a battle of the wills. Was Dr Bose going to win out and say Willa passed the car seat test? Or was he going to be held to the standards set in the books. Well, it was a little of both. During rounds Dr Bose asked how far away we live. It takes us about 20 minutes to get home. Dr Bose said perfect! Willa can make it for 30 minutes in the car seat and that means you have a 10 minute cushion.

Level heads prevailed and we were going to repeat the car seat test after the 2pm care time. We also talked about the possibility of Willa going home using a car bed. I said we plan on getting the seat base installed in my car and use Daren's car if we end up using the bed.  All we want is for our daughter to get home safely.

Willa came close to passing but had some dropping of rates on the monitors at about the 40 minute mark. We will just have to wait and see about what the future holds as far as transportation.

Willa appears to have her days and nights turned around. We are getting a consistent report of her taking full feeds by bottle from 8pm - 5am.  She is was also awake from 2am - 5am just looking around the room.  We hardly get to see her eyes during the day. I hope we can get these times flipped while we are still in the NICU.

The amount of time spent breastfeeding is increasing. We hit a record of 13 minutes at the 11am feeding. If Willa feeds for 15 minutes they will not give her a bottle. Willa also drinks VERY loudly. The other nurses were wondering who was making the loud sucking noise. I said it was just my little turtle.

Dad is learning how to multitask. 
Daren left for work just before the 11am care time. I think he left b/c he knew Willa had a poopy diaper. I won't forget that. The plan was Daren would work until the early afternoon before heading back to Chapel Hill to join me for the UNC M Soccer quarterfinal game v. dook. We sent a picture to the coaches to let them know Willa would be cheering for them.

Go Heels!
I think I enjoyed being outside in the fresh air as much as I enjoyed being at the game. If only the game was during the day so I could be in natural light. They keep it very dim in the NICU. I'm going to have to get Willa some shades for the house. My guys won the game 1-0.  They made it a little too close for comfort. Next they are off to Maryland for the semi's. I'll have to follow them via the computer.

Willa for president.
Today was my planned date for the c-section. I guess Willa just didn't want to wait around and be a November baby. I'm not big into politics but I thought it was funny she was going to be born on election Tuesday. I'm ready for all the political news to be over with. We did have a little political race happening in pod B. Willa ran for the president of pod B. Her platform was breastfeeding, poopy diapers, and naps for everyone. She is sporting a lovely hat made by neighbor Paige.




No comments:

Post a Comment