Saturday, November 10, 2012

Willa Rules the House

First car ride.
We didn't have a set time for Willa's discharge. All we knew was that it would be at some point after morning rounds. Also, Dr Bose and the rest of the staff wanted to make sure we thought Willa was ready to come home. I felt much more comfortable with this discharge attempt than the one from last week Sunday. With last week I didn't think Willa was eating well enough to leave the hospital.  My only concern with yesterday's discharge was the fact Willa lost weight over the last three days.  Dr Bose assured me that Willa will thrive at home and will eat better at home than she does at the hospital.

We were discharged from the hospital on Friday around 4pm or so.  This was a bit later than we anticipated but the late discharge wasn't a big deal because were still able to make it home in time for the UNC M Soccer game v. Virginia in the ACC quarterfinals. Oh, and the team won on penalty kicks!
Naping during the soccer game.

Om - Day 14
We did the omphalocele dressing change at 8pm.  We are thinking this will be our standard time.  This was the first time we changed the dressing with just us.  We didn't have a nurse there help us by sedating our daughter with toot sweet.  Only two small snags, we didn't have scissors to cut away the extra gauze and we forgot to "back swaddle" her arms. I took a picture of the om.  You can see at the base of the om how the skin is starting is starting to grow higher and higher.

I just asked Daren how to describe our first night at home - it was noisy. I thought it was just fine. We were told that if Willa doesn't wake up every four hours to eat that we are to wake her.  Well, that was not needed. She woke us up about every three hours which is the same schedule she was on in the NICU.  We did have to supplement with a bottle after she became disinterested in breastfeeding.  I also tested out the nursery chair and I think it will work perfectly.  Instead of saying I slept well at night...I will say I had a lot of short naps.

             

No comments:

Post a Comment